Monday, September 8, 2008

La Vida es Sueno

I had a dream the other night that was more poignant than most of my dreams of late:
It was the right after graduation in the Marriott center and all of us were rushing out to find our families and proceeding up the spiral ramps and over to the ASB parking lot. Everybody looked the same in their black gowns and caps, smiling because of their accomplishments and although I was with Melanie and Sterling I was frantic. You see this was also the night I was getting married and we were in a huge hurry to get to the temple to take pictures, get married and have the reception. So, the three of us were pushing the crowd. I was wearing a wedding dress and holding a bouquet of wilted lilies (I hate lilies.) When we finally made it to the temple and found my family (there were several other wedding parties) we all started taking pictures. The only problem was He wasn't there and everybody kept asking me when he was going to get there, because not even His family knew. Every time I had to explain that He would be there right before the ceremony it killed me inside and the tears started to form in my tear ducts. It killed me because I had to make excuses for him yet again and it killed me because he didn't care about the things that were important to me, like the pictures with family and friends. I decided that I wanted to take pictures anyway, so I took them with my family and with my friends while everybody ate what was described to me as the "variety pack" of pizza, which had all the norms plus weird combos like pepperoni with hard-top chocolate sauce. While we were taking pictures another party was setting up their reception (somehow we weren't actually at the temple anymore) and they had the most amazing decorations in the world and the bride had exactly the dress I wanted. I had exactly the dress I don't want and when my mom saw me eyeing their décor she told me I had some "3-D" decorations at my reception which were actually just dress forms wearing Victorian dresses. We continue to wait for Him and I continue to make excuses for why He isn't there yet.
…and then I wake up - crying.

3 comments:

Allison said...

In preparation for dream interpretation...what temple was it?

And I'm sorry that you had such a distressing dream. I love you.

emilee said...

temple:unknown, i think it was SLC, though

Taylor said...

emilee - you have the absolutely most best dreams ever. are you still alive? haven't heard from you in a while...